Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Crucible ACT 4 question help plz?

Hi guys... I don't get this... Please help with this question...



How is it that Danforth believes John after months of no confession, but believes he lying when he refuses to indict Martha and Rebecca?

Thank you!



TEXT



Danforth: Mr. Proctor. When the Devil came to you did you see Rebecca Nurse in his company? Proctor is silent. Come, man, take courage--did you ever see her with the Devil?



Proctor, almost inaudibly: No.



Danforth, now sensing trouble, glances at John and goes to the table, and picks up a sheet -- the list of condemned.



Danforth: Did you ever see her sister, Mary Easty, with the Devil?



Proctor: No, I did not.



Danforth, his eyes narrow on Proctor: Did you ever see Martha Corey with the Devil?



Proctor: I did not.



Danforth, realizing, slowly putting the sheet down: Did you ever see anyone with the Devil?



Proctor: I did not.



Danforth: Proctor, you mistake me. I am not empowered to trade your life for a lie. You have most certainly seen some person with the Devil. Proctor is silent. Mr. Proctor, a score of people have already testified they saw this woman with the Devil.



Proctor: Then it is proved. Why must I say it?



Danforth: Why ';must'; you say it! Why, you should rejoice to say it if your soul is truly purged of any love for Hell!



Proctor: They think to go like saints. I like not to spoil their names.



Danforth, inquiring, incredulous: Mr. Proctor, do you think they go like saints?



Proctor, evading: This woman never thought she done the Devil's work.



Danforth: Look you, sir. I think you mistake your duty here. It matters nothing what she thought--she is convicted of the unnatural murder of children, and you for sending your spirit out upon Mary Warren. Your soul alone is the issue here, Mister, and you will prove its whiteness or you cannot live in a Christian country. Will you tell me now what persons conspired with you in the Devil's company?

Proctor is silent. To your knowledge was Rebecca Nurse ever --

Proctor: I speak my own sins; I cannot judge another. Crying out, with hatred: I have no tongue for it.



Hale, quickly to Danforth: Excellency, it is enough he confess himself. Let him sign it, let him sign it.



Parris, feverishly: It is a great service, sir. It is a weighty name; it will strike the village that Proctor confess. I beg you, let him sign it. The sun is up, Excellency!



Danforth, considers; then with dissatisfaction: Come, then, sign your testimony. To



Cheever: Give it to him. Cheever goes to Proctor, the confession and a pen in hand. Proctor does not look at it. Come, man, sign it.The Crucible ACT 4 question help plz?
Well... wouldn't you want to believe that they had been with the devil after executing all the other innocent people? He probably wanted validation for what he was doing and with John not doing that for him it could raise doubt that the others had not been witches. And I doubt he would want to admit that he had been tricked by a bunch of young girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment