Friday, October 22, 2010

How to bite my tongue when occasion demands?

I just can't get rid of this pernicious habit offending way too many people with rude remarks. I don't really mean it ever but I just can't get rid of this sarcastic personality and only later I realize I had been insensitive. My reputation is of being sullen and rude.



For example:



A woman with a baby in the crib: ';Nice baby; doesn't look like your husband though';.



You know it's like too much and too early.



I also don't feel like saying ';please'; or ';excuse me'; though I do say ';thanks'; and ';sorry'; when needed.How to bite my tongue when occasion demands?
You are already half way there. You have identified this as problem by yourself.How to bite my tongue when occasion demands?
I think it depends a ton on your age, If you are in the age bracket 14-17 that is so hard of an age. But I talk to much and say too much but I am nice but a busy body and don't mean bad. So I have learned to say in my mind as I open my mouth ';Reach in'; and me and my friend, we are 56 and 59, we share how it helps us and you would be surprised how much power there is in polite silence and it can reform your ways Also who modeled this for you ? go away from them and also some personalities just tend more towards this, but it isn't good and will one day ruin a relationship for you. Sacarism is bad all the way around. Good luck and recognizing the problem is 1/2 of the solution so you are half way there. Watch good clean movies and TV it will model for you.
I do not put myself above all others or see myself superior to anyone, I am like the great ocean where all streams flow to me because I stay low and, thus I am a servent to all.

Dr. Wayne Dyer, The Tao
biting sarcasm is a sign of low self esteem and passive aggression. Its when a person is mad at the world, but has to play it off as a joke. I think in ur case, u may be trying too hard to be funny, which then backfires.



you dont want ppl to think of u as some angry little person with a chip on ur shoulder. Its an effort but hold back the next time the urge for some irresistably clever little remark comes up.
Why not try saying 'please' and 'excuse me' and giving the odd compliment now and again? You will not get laughed or thought to be a soft touch and you may find that the urge to be sarcastic goes away. You can be funny and quick witted without causing offence.
One way to try and break the habit is to tell your friends and family what you're trying to do.



Firstly, it'll help you because they can remind you when you unconsciously do make sarcastic comments or forget your manners.



Secondly, the fact that other people know of your goals makes it more embarrassing for you to fail - which makes you more motivated to succeed.



Don't expect to change overnight. When we fall into bad habits it takes a while to change them. Keep trying, you've made a good start by recognising your faults and deciding to do something about them. Most people are totally blind to their failings (except me, but that's because I don't have any).
Think before you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment